Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Book Talk

Still Alice by Lisa Genova

I haven't finished with this book, I keep flipping back through it; rereading certain parts and chapters over and over again.
I haven't finished thinking about it either.

Simple summary: The main character is a 50 year old Harvard professor, diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's disease. It is a tragic story.
Her relationship with her family, her friends, her world.....changed forever.

It is a well written book.
I couldn't put it down and read to the end needing to know what happens.
How does her life turn out? How does her family cope?

The scary part is that the book opens up a can of what-ifs?
What if it happened to me?
What if it happened to someone I loved?
What would I want to happen?
What would I choose? ....for myself? ....for my family?
How would I want to live my life?
How would I want to end my life?

Dark thoughts. Serious thoughts.
Thoughts which lead to interesting discussions.

1 comment: