Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Who knew?

Wednesday's Word of the Week

Yesterday, I was reading an email which stated:
(each family will) participate in fundraising on a discrete measurement basis.....

Now the word discrete didn't look right to me (I rely heavily on spellcheck!) and the note didn't make sense. We'd fundraise but not talk about it to others??

Quite a discussion ensued between my husband and I.
"Don't you know what discrete means?"
"I thought I did! Do you?"

Well it turns out that there is discrete and then there is discreet.
Who knew??
discreet means 'judicious, prudent, showing discernment,' while discrete means 'detached, separate' and 'individually distinct'

Learn something new everyday!
Thanks thesaurus.com!!

1 comment:

  1. It is a good day when you learn something. You just made such a day for me. I did not know that! Thanks. Discreet. Discrete.

    ReplyDelete