Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Edited.

Last spring I wrote and submitted an article to a magazine.
It was an assignment for a course I was taking and I spent many hours writing and rewriting.
I wanted to sound professional but I wanted the article to sound like me.
My thoughts, my words, my voice.

Imagine my thrill when I found out in September that I was to be published.
I cried....with happiness and a feeling of accomplishment.

Today, a copy of the magazine turned up at my house.
Saw my contributor photo and bio ....not bad.
Saw the page number and title of my article.... that's not what I called it.
Turned to the article, took a deep breath and read.

Hey, what's going on?
Those aren't my words....
I didn't write that....

The gist is the same; it's basically what I wrote.
Actually, they've changed quite a bit.
Added entire sentences and ideas.
Moved my thoughts around.
Added words I never use.

It's not my style; not my words; not my voice.
I feel disappointed.
I feel like my words, my ideas weren't good enough.
I don't want anyone to see it.
I wish my picture wasn't there.
I won't do this again.

Today I cried....from disappointment.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, J. That SUCKS, big time. Good for you, submit ... again and again, everyone should hear your words, the way you put them together. Really.

    Signed,

    Your biggest fan

    ReplyDelete