Thursday, March 4, 2010

Regrets

Regrets....I have a few.

High school typing....now there's a regret!

You see, I can't type.
I'm a four-fingered, hunt and pecker.
I have to watch the keys and have no idea what's going on up on the screen.
I CAN GO AN ENTIRE LINE IN CAP LOCKS BEFORE I LOOK UP AND NOTICE!!
I'm slow and it's painful.

How did I reach this sorry state.
Let's go back, way back, way back to high school.
It was the end of the seventies and I was in high school.
Do I take typing or do I take band class?

My mother, she wanted me to take typing.
But no, I knew better.
I can hear the tone in my voice, that teenage attitude, that know it all self righteousness!
(I was a shitty teenager.....sorry Mom!)
"I am never going to be a secretary!" I proclaimed
"Who needs to type?"

We had computers, I actually took computer programming in high school.
It was an up and coming course.
You created a math equation.
You filled in the bubble cards, sent the stack to the Board of Education and Voila! you would get a print out of your equation with the answers!
Who needed to type when you could fill in bubbles on the computer cards??

No instead of typing I was going to take band class and play my trombone!
Now there's a skill that has taken me far in life!

Who knew that typing would come in handy.....
Regrets.....I have a few.

1 comment:

  1. YAY!! You're back :)

    I had to get another credit in grade 12 to graduate as I was missing one. I picked typing (over home ec) as I figured I could manage 12 words/minute to pass. I'm sure my family would have preferred me to have taken home ec!

    ReplyDelete